Pages

Monday, December 15, 2008

Time to give back

Today our co-op class visited a local nursing home. The children sang songs, handed out gifts and ornaments and visited with the patients. It was such a nice time. It was so wonderful to see their eyes light up as one of the children handed them a gift.
I'd like to think that they all have loving families who visit often but I'm sure that's probably not true in all cases. As I listened to the children's sweet voices singing Christmas carols, I couldn't help but be overcome with emotion. I turned away to hide the tears welling up in my eyes and came face to face with another mom-tears streaming down her face. I wondered why we had not came here before.
Right there today I made up my mind that the girls and I will come back again. We may not bring gifts, but we can give of our time and our love and friendship. Such a simple gift and so easy to give.
"Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God." ~Lev 19:32

No comments: