Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Washington DC trip

The girls and I took another quick trip this summer, this time to the east coast.  I'm 43 years old and had never been to Washington DC!  This was a trip I wanted to do before my girls were grown and gone.  So...we planned it out, as best we could.
One of the first stops was Mt Vernon-George Washington's home.  
The girls were taking a break, looking at the Potomac.
In front of Mt. Vernon


Next we went to the Pentagon and saw the 9/11 Memorial


Our day at Arlington National Cemetery was incredible.  It was such a beautiful, emotional area.  It's also the resting place of a guy who went to high school with me.  

We toured Arlington House and also saw the changing of the guard in front of the tomb of the unknown soldier.  Amazing!


What's a trip to DC without seeing the White House.  It really looks bigger on TV.  lol!



The night before we saw the Lincoln memorial, it was vandalized.  Someone poured paint all over it!  Can you imagine?  Why?  That meant they had it partially closed off because they were trying to remove the paint.  This was as close as we could get.

I'm thankful the guide book I read said to go to the Old Post Office for a spectacular view.  They were right!  Above you can see the Capital building in the distance.


Just as the sun was going down, we made it to the Capital building.  I thought this was the prettiest government building that we saw.



On the way home we stopped at Monticello-Thomas Jefferson's home.  I loved walking through the gardens and enjoying the breathtaking view.

6 history filled days that none of us will ever forget.  I'm so glad we finally made this trip.  God bless our wonderful country!

1 comment:

Jazzmin said...

What an amazing trip!! Mother-daughter trips are so fun and it sounds like y'all had a wonderful one. The things you got to see are amazing, and the views. And the emotion of going to the different sights.

I enjoyed reading about both the trips you posted about :) I'm sure they made for wonderful summer memories.

Blessings!
~Jazzmin