Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Early morning


It seems that the older I get, the less sleep I need. I'm usually the first one up at our house. I cherish the time alone in the quiet. Some mornings I wake a little earlier than I'd like. :) I hate to sit in bed and waste time. If I can't sleep, I get up and find something to do. On this particular morning I was awake about 3:30am. I caught up on email and blogs, did some laundry and cleaned in the kitchen, patiently waiting for the sun to come up. I'm a big chicken and don't like to go outside in the dark...alone. At daylight, I headed to our dock at the creek to mail a card. The view I was presented with caused me to slow down...to look around...to listen...to praise our wondrous Maker!
I was in awe of the beauty! We've had this property about 12 years and it never gets old. I sat on the dock and watched the fish jump, saw the blue herons hunting their breakfast and listened to the frogs sing. I was also frightened by an alligator making his way into the water. I remained still observing this magnificent place God has placed right at my door.
When I finally walked up to the house I was blessed once more. This time by numerous hummingbirds fighting over my feeders. I stood still, listening to them buzzing over my head and watching with awe as they hovered around me.

As I entered the house I was filled with so much happiness. There's no other word for it. So I missed a bit of sleep. God had blessed me ten fold with the richness of His creation. I would rather experience this than sleep till 9:00 any day!

4 comments:

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I think if I lived there I might be able to get myself out of bed early in the morning too! :)

Marianne said...

how true. To be awake to greet the morning is one of my favorite pleasures. I try to get up before the dogs start to stir, because once they're up...the peacefulness is gone.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Your comment made me smile.

affectioknit said...

Lovely thoughts...sweet kitty picture too...

Have a nice day!

Annaliese said...

Hello!

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog :-) Your posts are so encouraging and fun to read! I also love reading your daughter Grace's blog... <3

Blessings!

xoxo Miss ALK

http://confessionsofamaineteenager.blogspot.com