This is my version of a recipe published by our local grocery store, Publix,. It's a nice twist on traditional lasagna. I love the addition of the asparagus. Lots of pretty colors and super yummy! My whole family loved it!
9 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 pounds asparagus, cute into 2 inch pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp fresh marjoram or 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1/2 cup roasted bell peppers, drained and chopped
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese*
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease 13x9 baking dish. Cook and drain noodles.
2. Heat 5 cups water to boiling in 3 qt saucepan. Add asparagus, heat to boiling. Boil 3-4 minutes, drain. Place asparagus in bowl. Toss with oil and lemon pepper seasoning.
3. Melt butter in 2 qt saucepan over med heat. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, milk and marjoram. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken, 1/4 cup of bell peppers and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Cook about 2 minutes or until hot.
4. Spread about 1/2 cup of chicken mixture in baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture, half of the asparagus and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, starting with noodles. Top with remaining 3 noodles.
5. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup bell peppers, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until hot and top is lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
*I always use more cheese than a recipe calls for. We love cheese!