Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Power of Words

I remember middle school and high school like it was yesterday.  There are a lot of found memories, but what I remember most is feeling awkward and out of place-like I wasn't good enough.  Isn't that usually a part of growing up?  Today I hear so much about kids being bullied.  I don't remember any of that going on when I was a youngster, but I do remember how powerful words were.  Kind or mean could make or destroy you.

Lately we've been doing the Basic Life Principles Course by Bill Gothard.  One of the things he speaks of is how a word misspoken can cause a lifetime of bitterness-even if the speaker didn't intend for it to be offensive.  Well, my story is just the opposite.  A kind word (or 2) can change a teen's world.

When I was in 8th grade I was super insecure and shy.  I truly didn't feel that I fit in.  We'd have all of these theme days.  One week it was 'twin day'.  A beautiful young lady who was smart and sweet and a cheerleader (which made her popular) asked me to be her twin.  I was floored! Me??  Seriously?  I felt like I was on the top of the world!  

Let's flash forward 26 years.  We just had our 25th high school reunion.  I didn't go.  All because I still feel that I don't fit in.  Why relive all of that?  Well...I get a message.  It's that same girl from 8th grade saying she missed me at the reunion and wants to try to get together while she's home (she lives 24 hours away).  Once again I was floored!  

I had her and her children over today.  Our time was so sweet, so comfortable.  I can't imagine that she'll ever know how much the visit meant to me.  I hope though that one day, when she gets to heaven, God will have a very special jewel in her crown.  

Never underestimate the power of a kind word.  It can change someone's life.
(Alisa and me, June 2013)

1 comment:

Dianna said...

What a blessing that you were able to have your own private "reunion" with your school friend of years ago. I truly understand about the power of words. Sometimes we don't think they are that powerful but I'm reminded constantly that the Bible tells me that in the tongue we find life OR death. Thanks so much for sharing here about this Biblical principle.