Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Double Cheese Chili

The last couple of days have been unseasonably cold here on the gulf coast, which makes me a very happy girl!  I love wearing boots and scarfs and sweaters.  I also love all the cold weather food.  (actually I love food any season.  ha!)
I've never really had a recipe for chili, until my daughter tried this one that was in one of my cook books.  I really like the flavor.  Perfect for those couple of cold days we get each winter. :)

Double Cheese Chili

1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
1 can (15oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed*
1 can(14 1/2 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

*(I actually used 3 cans of beans-1 kidney and 2 black bean-because I like to make it go a little further)

Brown meat in a large skillet on medium heat: drain.  Add onions and peppers; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.  Add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and chili powder; mix well.  Reduce heat to low; cover.  Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Sprinkle 3 Tbsp cheese onto bottom of each of 6 soup bowls; top with chili and remaining cheese.
I also think that cooking it in an iron pot makes all the difference in the world!

No comments: