Black Bean Cakes
3/4 cup dices red onion
4 Tbsp canola oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 Tbsp taco seasoning (I used more)
2-15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup panko
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cups (6oz) shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
6 tostada shells
1/2 cup (2oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1. Sauté onion in 1 Tbsp hot oil until tender. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat.
2. Prepare Avocado-corn salsa. Chill.
3. Mash together taco seasoning and 2 cups of black beans. Stir in panko, egg, cilantro, onion and garlic, 1 cup of pepper Jack and remaining beans. Shape into 6 (1/2 inch thick) patties.
4. Cook in 3 Tbsp hot oil for 4 minutes on each side.
5. Preheat oven to 400. Place tostadas on cookie sheet. Top each one with cheddar and pepper Jack cheese. Bake until melted. Top with bean cake and salsa.
1 Tbsp lime zest
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper
2 cups fresh corn kernels
1 cup halved grape tomatoes
1 avocado, diced
1/3 cup diced red onion
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper
Whisk lime zest, juice, oil, mustard and pepper in large bowl. Stir in corn, tomatoes, avocado, onion, basil and cilanto. Add salt and pepper.
Makes 6 servings.