Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Recent Field Trips

We've been so busy lately with school, holidays and field trips that I haven't had time to blog. First of all we went to a The Wind in the Willows play performed by a local children's theater. It was so cute. I especially like the costumes. Mr. Toad was just adorable!

Secondly we went to pioneer day at Rikard's Mill. This was a water-powered grain mill and museum established in 1845. We were able to buy sacks of cornmeal and grits. There was a man carving bowls from wood, a blacksmith shop, ladies weaving baskets, candle and soap making and a man demonstrating how to make cane syrup from sugar cane. They gave the children pieces of sugar cane to sample. My oldest really liked this. Our favorite spot was with the "spinning lady". She was actually a young lady who was demonstrating spinning natural fiber to make your own yarn. Now we just have to have our own spinning wheel.

I've lived in this area all of my life and never knew about this mill. We'll definitely go back next year.


Then finally we went to a musical about Dr. Seuss-a Seussical performed by a local childrens group. I think Emma enjoyed this production the most. She sat in my lap, perfectly still for the whole hour.

No comments: