Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Bats on a boat ride???


I know that sounds crazy, but it's true! Now that the weather is getting warmer we like to take the boat out to go water skiing. The water is still cold (at least to me) so we wear wet suits. I absolutely love to water ski and will go any time. Yesterday afternoon we all loaded up and went out for a quick trip. We had a great time-except for one major wreck that I had. My daughter said I did 2 front handsprings and a somersault! She said I looked really good doing it. LOL! Thankfully I didn't get hurt.

We decided to come in right at sunset. One of my girls was pointing out bats in the sky. Her daddy had told her about them on a previous trip. I wasn't even aware that we had bats on the river. Right after she mentioned this, 2 bats flew right into my lap! I was wrapped in a towel and that's where they landed. I'm not kidding. It took me a minute to realize what had happened, then Mary and I jumped up and started screaming! My husband thought we were crazy. I started to shake the towel and one flew off. The second one eventually got loose and flew away.

Today I looked up bats on the internet to learn more about them. I didn't realize that they are the only "true" flying mammals. It was very unusual for them to fly into me because they have really good vision and they also use sound echos to help guide them. I'm not sure how they ended up in my lap. I certainly won't forget that boat ride for a while!

No comments: