Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

My new little hobby

I've been sewing now for about 10 years. I started out making clothes for the girls and smocking. Later I sewed a few crafts, etc. One of my dreams has been to learn to quilt. I took a class several years ago but never completed a project. When we moved I happen to see all my quilting supplies and set a goal to learn to quilt. You've got to walk before you can run, so I started with small projects. I checked a book out from the library and got started. I kept this book so long and loved it so much that I ended up purchasing my own copy.




I've now made several small quilts (all for gifts) and 2 baby sized quilts (I kept one of these for myself). I even made a couple of pillows for a quick Christmas gift. By doing these small quilts, I'm learning the technique without stressing myself out. Plus I get (almost) instant gratification. One day I'd like to complete a quilt to go on our bed. For now I get a lot of satisfaction from sewing these small squares and watching them form a beautiful pattern. It makes me feel good to think I'm continuing a tradition that my grandmother and her mother started. The sweetest thing is that one of my daughters has the quilting bug now. For Christmas I got her a quilting kit. I can just see my Granny smiling down on us. I look forward to cutting, piecing and sewing for many more years with all my girls.









(this is a baby size log cabin quilt that I made just for me.)

No comments: