Pages

Friday, January 18, 2008

No Rush Job


Yesterday we had some friends over for tea. They hadn't been here in a long time so I wanted things to look nice (actually I wanted them perfect, but...). As I straightened up, one thing led to another. Before I realized it, I was head over heels into big projects that I didn't have time to complete properly and also that really didn't need to be started on a day when we had guests coming.

Finally I sat back and took a deep breath. It really didn't matter if I made all the snacks or it they were "store bought" The kids would eat anything. Does my friend care if my house is perfect? Not if she's truly my friend. That helped me to relax a lot.

We ended up having a fabulous time. My favorite part wasn't the tea or the food, but just the fellowship. This is what I said on my New Year's list I want to be able to do-invite people into my home, share a cup of tea and share our lives.

I was so excited when I read my Beth Moore devotional this morning. The title was "No rush jobs with God". The verse for today is:

"O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago." ~Isaiah 25:1

She goes on to say, "I envision great things, but often life gets in the way. What a contrast I am to my heavenly Father. He doesn't get sidetracked by our everyday emergencies, though He is always there to tend to our needs with tenderness and love. "

"I know that my creativity, harried though I may be at times, is a gift from my creator. But He's not finished with me. It's good to know that 'he who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion' (Phil 1:6). And it won't be a rush job."

2 comments:

angweissgerber said...

Tammy,
Thanks for the reminder that was greatly needed in my heart today. Matt's parents are coming in today and I am stressing out here at work that my kitchen floor is not mopped! Your New Year's blog has inspired me to write down my own goals for this year. Hope all is well with you and your family! Love, Angela

Wren said...

Your house is beautiful & tea was wonderful but more importantly you are a beautiful person & I truly enjoyed our time together.
Samantha