Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things...

I just love that song-actually I love the whole movie! (The Sound of Music). I've been thinking lately-about finding the positive side of things. It's sad that I spend time harping on the negative things in my house, the negative side of friends, etc. A lot of those things I can't change, so why bring myself down thinking about them? Years ago I read a book called "The Power of a Praying Wife". It talked about always complaining about the faults your husband has and trying to change him. Instead you need to pray that God will change you and make you better able to handle whatever faults you might see in your husband. In other words, start with yourself first. So, on that note, I'm going to try to be a more positive person and really see the good and beauty in everything. I went around my house today and took pictures of those things that I really like, that make me happy, make me smile. Some are little and insignificant, but warm my heart all the same.

This was my father-in-law's highchair as a baby. Behind it are cork screw willow branches from Mark's grandmother's tree.

This is my little spot, tucked away under the staircase. I have lots of my favorite books, a picture of my beautiful family and of course, my laptop.

I love Grace and Emma's bed. It's an old iron bed, full of character. Their room is on the south side of our house, so it's always bright and cheery. It's pink and girly and just a beautiful room.Can you tell I love "old" stuff? This armoire was my grandfather's. My father let me "borrow" it the year I was pregnant with Mary. He said I could keep it as long as I promised never to give it away. Give it away!!! I wouldn't think of parting with it. It sits at the top of the stairs. I just enjoy looking up at it as I walk by.

This is a new lovely that I just received as a gift from a friend. She knows me so well. It's plain and simple but with an elegance all the same. I honestly feel "peaceful" looking at it.

There were lots of other favorites that made me happy but, I don't have room to include them all. It's nice looking for the positive, happy things. Funny how I never realized just how many were around me.

No comments: